Monday, October 13, 2008

Paul Krugman Wins Nobel


Two initial provisos:
1. I know the Nobel Prize for Economics isn't really a Nobel Prize.
2. I've never taken a class in economics.

That said, I think it's great news that Paul Krugman has won the Nobel Prize in economics today.

I never knew much about Krugman or his work, except for the fact that he writes for the Times and teaches at Princeton, until I got one of his books, The Great Unraveling, which recounts some of the economic failures of the Bush Administration, many of which were not, it must be noted, mistakes at all, but simply designed to benefit the wealthy supporters of whom Bush is a client.

I strongly recommend The Great Unraveling and The Conscience of a Liberal, as well as his regular Times column and blog.

The wingers don't really see it, but Paul Krugman actually has plenty of real academic credentials and is the author of one of the most commonly used basic economics textbooks. This award, recognizing not his polemical work but his technical economic work, should provide further support for the legitimacy of his work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote a letter to the FT defending Krugman, because while they supported his receiving the award, they recycled the wingers' argument that he's partisan and shrill. I had actually fallen for that argument in the past, but when I went back and read his columns, I was struck by how right he was, not by how shrill he was.

October 14, 2008 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home