Friday, September 26, 2008

Quick Thoughts on the Debate

I thought it was mostly a draw. That, however, is a win for Obama. I thought Obama presented himself as a credible and knowledgeable commander in chief, which he needed to do. I also think he did well in avoiding the pondering that he's been criticized for in prior debates. On the other hand, he failed to capitalize as well as he could have on McCain's vulnerabilities, including McCain's natural tendency to react without thinking.

I can see that McCain had it drilled into him to keep repeating "What Senator Obama doesn't understand . . .", but it will be interesting to see how people respond to that, given that Obama so clearly did understand what he was talking about.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am curious as to why you think a draw is a win for Obama. I have heard the opposite. I am not sure what people are basing either view on.

September 27, 2008 10:57 AM  
Blogger Jack McCullough said...

The whole story of McCain's candidacy is that he has a lot more experience than Obama and that he supposedly has a ton of foreign relations expertise. Thus, if Obama is able to stand up side by side with McCain, talk knowledgeably about the issues, and hold his own deflates McCain's biggest selling point.
I agree with the commentators who have said that they want Obama to come on stronger, but it's also a fine line. I would settle for:
1. No more "John McCain is right", especially since that is so rarely true.
2. Develop some memorable catch phrases and slogans to use in the debates and then echo in speeches and on the campaign trail.
3. Show a bit more emotion. I have this same problem in my speech, and I think it helps if he can do it.

September 30, 2008 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home