Monday, January 23, 2012

Bob Kerrey was right

If you're a regular reader around here you know that I'm fond of Dan Savage's definition of Santorum, but the news reports today demonstrate that Bob Kerrey was right.

At an appearance in Florida one of Santorum's supporters spoke out, saying "He is an avowed Muslim and my question is, why isn't something being done to get him out of our government?"

Sound familiar? It should, because four years ago a John McCain supporter made a similar charge with regard to then-Senator Obama. Watch the video and then come back. It's short.

Okay, back?

See what McCain did? Even though he was fighting for every vote, he corrected this misguided woman, even saying that Obama was a decent man who just disagreed on policy.

He set quite a standard for your boy, Santorum, eh? So what did Santorum do?

"It's not my responsibility as a candidate to correct everybody who makes a statement that I disagree with," Santorum said. "There are lots of people who get up and say stuff in a town hall meeting and say things that I don't agree with, but I don't think it's my obligation, nor should it be your feeling that it's my obligation to correct somebody who says something that I don't agree with."

Maybe politics are like sports. They claim that sports build character, but maybe politics, like sports, reveal character.

And maybe that's why Bob Kerrey observed “Santorum, that’s Latin for asshole.”

No argument here.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home