Sunday, January 04, 2009

Bill Richardson dropping out as Commerce Secretary

Breaking news from NBC, AP, and the Times: Bill Richardson has informed Barack Obama that he's withdrawing his name as the nominee to be Obama's Secretary of Commerce.

It seems almost inevitable that issues will crop up with at least one nominee, as well vetted as they seem to be. Up to now the consensus has been that Obama's been handling the transition perfectly, or pretty close. Now this comes up.

I'm sorry to hear this. I've always liked Bill Richardson, and I disagreed with people who were ridiculing him as the "resume candidate" during his brief presidential run. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see anything wrong with running on the basis of a record as strong as Richardson's. Not that I ever thought he had a chance.

Apparently it has to do with a pay to play investigation into the business dealings between some company and the state of New Mexico. Naturally Richardson says there has been no wrongdoing.

I hope he's right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home