Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Call on Obama to stand up to FISA

If I'm walking down the street and the police ask me to break into your house, rifle through your possessions, and bring them anything I think they might be interested in, I could be prosecuted, charged with burgalary, breaking and entering, theft, and unlawful trespass, and besides that, you could sue me for it.

Now, according to the bill that Bush and the House of Representatives want to pass, if the police asked me to do it, my criminal acts would suddenly be legal.

I'm talking about the new FISA legislation. Last year many of us were hugely supportive of Chris Dodd because he stood up to the administration and the Senate leadership and he was willing to filibuster to block FISA, and especially the retroactive immunity provisions.

Now it's back and Obama is saying he's going to support the bill even with the retroactive immunity provision in it.

I am so angry I am thinking about asking our delegation not to support him in Denver.

Before doing that, though, there is a way for Obama supporters to make their voices heard. If you go to www.mybarackobama.com you can sign up with the group called Senator Obama - Please Vote NO on Telecom Immunity - Get FISA Right.

Since last Wednesday more than 6000 Obama supporters have signed up, probably 4000 since noon yesterday.

I've been trying to get the message through every way I can. As soon as I learn that Obama has a staff person in Vermont I'll post that information. Obama needs to hear this. Maybe if we rise up with one voice, and make clear that we aren't going along with Bush's assault on our civil liberties, and we don't want him to go along with it either, it will make a difference.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 01, 2008 12:48 AM  
Blogger Dr. Stephen J. McCullough, Psy.D. said...

I may be showing my ignorance, but i clicked on this link and it was not clear to me how to communicate my views to Obama.

July 02, 2008 10:13 AM  
Blogger Jack McCullough said...

Since this is Obama's own campaign site, I think that all of us who have signed up are letting him know how seriously we disagree with what he's doing.
It's now the biggest group in his web page.
There are also ways to do it that include calling his campaign and Senate offices.

July 03, 2008 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home