Sunday, February 11, 2007

Go, Dixie Chicks!

Grammys stood up for freedom of speech tonight.


You probably remember the big fights they've had the last few years: the death threats, the boycotts, the hostility. All because they aren't big Bush fans, and had the temerity to say so.


This is from 2003:

Country stations across the United States have pulled the Chicks from playlists following reports that lead singer Natalie Maines said in a concert in London earlier this week that she was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."


Station managers said their decisions were prompted by calls from irate listeners who thought criticism of the president was unpatriotic.


Thigs have turned around a little bit since then, but not necessarily in the world of country music. The Grammy awards are on tonight. A big, big night for commercial music of all kinds. And get this: the Dixie Chicks have won three awards, including Record of the Year for their song Not Ready to Make Nice.


Here are some of the lyrics:


I made by bed, and I sleep like a baby,

With no regrets and I don't mind saying,

It's a sad sad story

That a mother will teach her daughter

that she ought to hate a perfect stranger.

And how in the world

Can the words that I said

Send somebody so over the edge

That they'd write me a letter

Saying that I better shut up and sing

Or my life will be over


I'm not ready to make nice,

I'm not ready to back down,

I'm still mad as hell


Do you think it's wishful thinking to say that this is politics at work? I sure don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home