Wednesday, January 04, 2006

O'Reilly on Letterman

Dave just got me to do what I would never voluntarily do: watch Bill O'Reilly on television. I couldn't imagine why he would give a platform for that right-wing whack job, and I was frankly pretty pissed off. Still, I had to watch, and I'm glad I did. Dave actually took him on in a way that you never see from "legitimate" news reporters.

Here's a sampling: (I've tried to use direct quotes, but I wasn't recording it so I can't promise I have every word right.)

On the “War on Christmas”:
“I don’t believe you.”
"I don't feel threatened."

On Cindy Sheehan:
“I’m very concerned about people like yourself who don’t have nothing but endless sympathy for a woman like Cindy Sheehan. Honest to Christ! Honest to Christ!”

On the war in Iraq:
"The President himself less than a month ago said we are there because of a mistake made in in intelligence. . . So why are we there in the first place? . . .
I agree with you that we have to support the troops. They are there, they are the best and the brightest in this country. . . .
That does not eliminate the legitimate speculation and concern and questioning of why the hell are we there to begin with?”

On being fair and balanced:
“I’m not smart enough to debate you point by point, but I have the feeling that about 60% of what you say is crap.”

I've always thought that Dave got it about Bush, and once again this confirms it.

You can watch part of the interview here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes watch O'Reilly partly for entertainment value and partly to see what the enemy is watching. The unsettling thing about BO is that he says a lot of things in plain straightforward language that come so close to making sense that, if you didn't pay close attention, you would think that of course he's right. These leftwing crazies are ruining our schools, our nation, and, God forbid, our Christmas. The problem comes when you actually analyze the facts and realize that he's either making up or misrepresenting much of what he says. I don't think that real thinkers on the conservative side pay much attention to what BO has to say, except when it's convenient.
He's about as serious a commentator as Ann Coulter.

January 04, 2006 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home